Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Body Image Dissatisfaction and Self-esteem: Resilience As a Mediator
It has been shown that a person's well-being is impacted by how he or she feels about his or her body. The study's goal was to examine the connection between Indian girls' self-esteem and body image dissatisfaction. The majority of body image research has concentrated mainly on undesirable traits that cause distortion or dissatisfaction. Few studies have looked at the protective variables that shield certain women against the emergence of a negative body image. The goal of the current study was to examine the positive features of body image as well as determine whether resilience influences how people feel about their bodies. Data were collected from 100 female participants, age 17-22 years. A demographic sheet, the Body Shape Questionnaire34, the Rosenberg Self-esteem Scale, BMI assessments, and the Resilience scale were among the tools employed. According to the findings, self-esteem was substantially correlated with body image dissatisfaction. Resilience also partially mediated the link between selfesteem and body dissatisfaction.
body image dissatisfaction, self-esteem, resilience.
- Cash, T. F., & Pruzinsky, T. (2002). Future challenges for body image theory, research, and clinical practice. In T. F. Cash and T. Pruzinsky (Eds.), Body image (pp. 509- 516). New York: Guilford Press.
- Cooper, P.J., Taylor, M.J., Cooper, M., & Fairburn, C.G. (1987). The development and validation of the body shape questionnaire. International Journal of Eating Disorders, 6, 485-494.
- Crandall, R. (1973). The measurement of self-esteem and related constructs. In J. P. Robinson and P. Shaver (Eds.), Measurements of social psychological attitudes (pp. 451-467). Ann Arbor, MI:Institute for Social Research.
- Fallon, A., & Hausenblas, H. (2005) Media images of the “ideal” female body: Can acute exercise moderate their psychological impact? Body, 2(1), 62-73.
- Fiske, L., Fallon, E. A., Blissmer, B., & Redding, C. A. (2014). Prevalence of body dissatisfaction among United States adults: Review and recommendations for future research. Eating Behaviors, 15(3), 357-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eatbeh.2 014.04.010
- Goldfield, G. S., Moore, C., Henderson, K., Buchholz, A., Obeid, N., & Flament, M. F. (2010). Body dissatisfaction, dietary restraint, depression, and weight status in adolescents. Journal of School Health, 80(4), 186-192. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.17 46-1561. 2009.00485.x
- Jones, D. C., & Smolak, L. (2011). Body image during adolescence: A developmental perspective. In B. B. Brown and M. J. Prinstein (Eds.), Encyclopedia of adolescence (pp. 77-86). Academic Press.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University.
- Rosenberg, M., Schooler, C., Schoenbach, C., & Rosenberg, F. (1995). Global selfesteem Rosenberg, M. (1965). Society and the adolescent self-image. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University.
- Saiphoo, A. N., & Vahedi, Z. (2019). A meta-analytic review of the relationship between social media use and body image disturbance. Computers in Human Behavior, 101, 259-275. https://doi. Org/10.1016/j.chb.2019.07.028
- Sastre, A. (2014). Towards a radical body positive. Feminist Media Studies, 14, 929- 943. https://doi.org/10.1080/14680777.2014. 883420
- Santhira, S. P., Harris, N., Boddy, J., & Donovan, C. L. (2018). The relationship between body image concerns and weight-related behaviours of adolescents and emerging adults: A systematic review. Behaviour Change, 34, 208-252. https://doi.org/10.1 017/bec.2018.3
- Tiggemann, M., & McCourt, A. (2013). Body appreciation in adult women: Relationships with age and body satisfaction. Body Image, 10, 624-627. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2013.07. 003
- Tylka, T. L., & Wood-Barcalow, N. L. (2015). What is and what is not positive body image? Conceptual foundations and construct definition. Body Image, 14, 118-129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j. Bodyim.2015.04.001
- Wagnild, G. M., & Young, H. M. (1987). Resiliency Scale. Worden, MT: The Resilience Center.
Abstract Views: 48
PDF Views: 0