Cystic Fibrosis and Exercise: a Systematic Review
Purpose: The aim of this article is to systematically review the literature that examine exercise programs and evaluate their effect in Cystic Fibrosis patients.
Method: MEDLINE, EMBASE and CINHAL, Biological Abst., Up To Date electronic databases were searched from January 2005 to December 2013.
Results: Only seven exercise interventions met the eligibility criteria for review. They include a very shot interval of twice in one hour to a long duration of 12 months. The exercise programs were walk, step test, aerobic, breathing, gaming and breathing. Majority had supervised training and assessment. Interventions carried out in home and in hospital setting.
Conclusions: All kinds of exercises helped in improving the respiratory function. Future research scope is also identified in various unexplored areas.
- Strausbaugh SD, Davis PB. Cystic fibrosis: a review of epidemiology and pathobiology. Clinics In Chest Medicine. 2007;28(2):279-88.
- Milla CE. Nutrition and lung disease in cystic fibrosis. Clinics In Chest Medicine. 2007;28(2): 319-330.
- Klijn PHC, Oudshoorn A, van der Ent CK, van der Net J, Kimpen JL, Helders PJM. Effects of anaerobic training in children with cystic fibrosis: a randomized controlled study. Chest. 2004;125(4):1299-305.
- Rosenthal M, Narang I, Edwards L, Bush A. Noninvasive assessment of exercise performance in children with cystic fibrosis (CF) and non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis: is there a CF specific muscle defect? Pediatric Pulmonology. 2009;44(3):222-30.
- Nixon PA. Role of exercise in the evaluation and management of pulmonary disease in children and youth. Medicine And Science In Sports And Exercise. 1996;28(4):414-20.
- Kazmerski T, Orenstein DM. The ease of breathing test tracks clinical changes in cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis. [Article]. 2012;11(5):383-6.
- Schneiderman-Walker J, Pollock SL, Corey M, Wilkes DD, Canny GJ, Pedder L, et al. A randomized controlled trial of a 3-year home exercise program in cystic fibrosis. The Journal Of Pediatrics. 2000;136(3):304-10.
- Hebestreit H, Kieser S, Rüdiger S, Schenk T, Junge S, Hebestreit A, et al. Physical activity is independently related to aerobic capacity in cystic fibrosis. The European Respiratory Journal: Official Journal Of The European Society For Clinical Respiratory Physiology. 2006;28(4): 734-739.
- Swisher AK, Erickson M. Perceptions of physical activity in a group of adolescents with cystic fibrosis. Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy Journal. 2008;19(4):107-13.
- Orenstein DM, Higgins LW. Update on the role of exercise in cystic fibrosis. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine. 2005;11(6):519-23.
- Smidt N, de Vet HCW, Bouter LM, Dekker J, Arendzen JH, de Bie RA, et al. Effectiveness of exercise therapy: a best-evidence summary of systematic reviews. The Australian Journal Of Physiotherapy. 2005;51(2):71-85.
- Yankaskas JR, Marshall BC, Sufian B, Simon RH, Rodman D. Cystic fibrosis adult care: consensus conference report. Chest. 2004;125(1 Suppl): 1S-39S.
- Dalcin PdTR, Abreu E Silva FAd. Cystic fibrosis in adults: diagnostic and therapeutic aspects. Jornal Brasileiro De Pneumologia: Publicaçao Oficial Da Sociedade Brasileira De Pneumologia E Tisilogia. 2008;34(2):107-17.
- Doorn NV. Exercise programs for children with cystic fibrosis: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2010;32(1):41–9.
- Paranjape SM, Barnes LA, Carson KA, von Berg K, Loosen H, Mogayzel PJ, Jr. Exercise improves lung function and habitual activity in children with cystic fibrosis. Journal Of Cystic Fibrosis: Official Journal Of The European Cystic Fibrosis Society. 2012;11(1):18-23.
- Kuys SS, Hall K, Peasey M, Wood M, Cobb R, Bell SC. Gaming console exercise and cycle or treadmill exercise provide similar cardiovascular demand in adults with cystic fibrosis: a randomised cross-over trial. Journal of Physiotherapy. 2011;57(1):35-40.
- Yoshii A, Plaut DA, McGraw KA, Anderson MJ, Wellik KE. Analysis of the reporting of search strategies in Cochrane systematic reviews. Journal of the Medical Library Association. 2009;97(1):21-9.
- Verhagen AP, de Vet HCW, de Bie RA, Kessels AGH, Boers M, Bouter LM, et al. The Delphi List: A Criteria List for Quality Assessment of Randomized Clinical Trials for Conducting Systematic Reviews Developed by Delphi Consensus. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 1998;51(12):1235-41.
- Holland AE, Rasekaba T, Wilson JW, Button BM. Desaturation During the 3-Minute Step Test Predicts Impaired 12-Month Outcomes in Adult Patients With Cystic Fibrosis. RESPIRATORY CARE. 2011;56(8):1137-42.
- Schmidt AM, Jacobsen U, Bregnballe V, Olesen HV, Ingemann-Hansen T, Thastum M, et al. Exercise and quality of life in patients with cystic fibrosis: A 12-week intervention study. Physiotherapy Theory & Practice. 2011;27(8): 548-556.
- Keochkerian D, Chlif M, Delanaud S, Gauthier R, Maingourd Y, Ahmaidi S. Breathing pattern adopted by children with cystic fibrosis with mild to moderate pulmonary impairment during exercise. Respiration; International Review Of Thoracic Diseases. 2008;75(2):170-7.
- Ziegler B, Rovedder PM, Oliveira CL, Silva Fe, Dalcin PR. Repeatability of the 6-minute walk test in adolescents and adults with cystic fibrosis. RESPIRATORY CARE. 2010;55(8):1020-5.
- Prasad SA, Cerny FJ. Factors that influence adherence to exercise and their effectiveness: application to cystic fibrosis. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2002;34(1):66-72.
Abstract Views: 846
PDF Views: 0