A Descriptive Study to Assess the Knowledge on Copd and its Self Management among Copd Patients in a Selected Hospital, Tamil Nadu
Aim of the study: This study aimed to assess the knowledge on COPD and its self management among COPD patients in selected Hospital, Tamil Nadu.
Back ground: Respiration is a complex physiological process by which a living organism meets its oxygen requirements and expels carbon dioxide. A wide variety of obstructive and restrictive pulmonary disease problems affect the respiratory system. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease is characterized by progressive, largely irreversible airflow limitation, leading to disability and mortality. Adequate knowledge is essential to recognize, manage their symptoms and prevention from complication and further disability.
Method: In this research study Quantitative research approach and Non experimental Descriptive research Design was used to assess the knowledge on COPD patients in selected Hospital in Tamilnadu. The population of this study was chosen the client diagnosed with COPD. 40 Samples were selected between the age group of 35 years and above 65 years and diagnosed as COPD were chosen for this study. Structured knowledge questionnaire (25 items) was used to compute their knowledge.
Findings: The data shows that 42.5% belongs to the age group between 56-65 years. 70% were males and remaining 30.0% were females, 55% were current smoker and 25% were in never smoker and 20% were Ex- smoker. 60% of the samples were non literate, 22.5% of the patients are having poor knowledge, 62.5% of them are having low knowledge and 15% of them are having adequate knowledge on COPD. Chi square was done to analyze the association between the knowledge scores with the selected demographic variables. The study findings show that, there is association with age, residential and occupation with knowledge on COPD and others were no significant between the knowledge score with demographic variables.
Conclusion: the study concluded that most of the male COPD patients belong to 56-65 years, current smokers and having low knowledge on COPD and its self management.
Abstract Views: 1594
PDF Views: 0