Open Access Subscription Access
Cost Effective Therapies for Periodontal Diseases-A Review
Cost effective therapies such as oil pulling, salt-water mixture and turmeric can be widely used as an alternative medication for strengthening of teeth, gums and jaw, prevention of pain, tooth decay, oral malodor, healing of socket and many other periodontal diseases. The aim of the study is to evaluate the efficacy of such inexpensive natural products in treatment of periodontal diseases and thus improving overall oral health.
Cost Effective Therapies, Herbal Therapy, Periodontal Therapy.
- Effects of oil pulling on plaque induced gingivitis: Indian journal of dental research. Available on: http.//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/oil/pulling.com. Authors: sharath asokan, pamula ennadi, raghuram chamdeshwari (meenakshi dental college, Chennai, India)
- Ram ks agnivesn’s charakasamhita vol-1. Varanasi. chowkhamba Sanskrit series office; 2002: 99-100,123
- Health benefits of mustard oil. available from: https//www.organicfact.net
- Home remedies for gum disease. Available from : www.findhomeremedy.com
- How to treat receding gums. available from : www.findhomeremedy.con
- Snyder op. antimicrobial effects of spices and herbs. hospitality institute of technology and management; 1997 (taken from Asia journal of pharmaceutical and clinical research vol 7, issue 5, 2014)
- Natural products 9pro) clove professional information from drugs.com
- The national institute of health medicine plus health information. Clove and clove oil.
- Meskin L H. A breath of fresh air. j am association 1996; 127(9); 1282, 1284, 1286.
- How to get rid of gingivitis. Available from: www.top10homeremedies.com.
- How to get rid of toothache. Available from: www.top10homeremedies.com.
- Charak Chikitsa Ch.4.13, Ch. 6/26 vol. 1. Ed. Priyavrat Varma.
- Jain S K. Dictionery of Indian Folk Medicine and Ethnobotany.1991: 65-66.
- CHEMEXCIL . Curcuma longa Linn (Haridra) in “111 Indian Medicinal Plants - by Bhavan’s Swami Prakashananda Ayurveda Research Centre, 1992: 121-24.
- 1. Chainani-Wu N. Safety and anti-inflammatory activity of curcumin: A component of turmeric (Curcuma longa) J Altern Complement Med. 2003; 9: 61–8. [PubMed]
- Cıkrıkcı S, Mozioglu E, Yılmaz H. Biological activity of curcuminoids isolated from Curcuma longa.Rec Nat Prod. 2008; 2: 19–24.
- Wahlstrom B, Blennow G. A study on the fate of curcumin in the rat. Acta Pharmacol Toxicol.1978; 43: 86–92. [PubMed]
- Ravindranath V, Chandrasekhara N. Absorption and tissue distribution of curcumin in rats.Toxicology. 1980; 16: 259–65. [PubMed]
- Kotwal, G. J: Natural Products and Molecular Therapy, First International Conference, NY; Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, New York, Vol.1056, 2005.
- Available from: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4261879.html. [last access on 2008 Feb 20]
- Antharjanm R S D, Balan Anita (2009): Curcumin as a treatment modality in recurrent aphthous stomatitis. Case Report. Kerala Dental Journal 32(4); 206-208.
Abstract Views: 493
PDF Views: 114