Open Access Subscription Access
Management of Diabetic Leg Ulcers using Traditional Mixed DHSc dressing: A Case Study
The treatment of chronic wounds using honey has been widely studied, and sea cucumber has been used for the treatment of diabetic wounds. In addition, dates (Phoenix dactylifera) have been used for wound healing. This study applied a mixed dressing of these three ingredients, referred to as DHSc (dates, honey and sea cucumber). The aim of this study was to evaluate the speed and effectiveness of the use of DHSc dressings for healing diabetic wounds. A case of a male patient with an infected diabetic ulcer on the left lower tibia that extended to the dorsal area is presented. Results: Mixed DHSc dressings were found to be effective for the treatment of chronic wounds, and they achieved wound healing in less than 12 weeks. The wound bed showed good contraction and healthy granulation with no side effects, evidence of infection or maceration. Thus, researchers concluded that DHSc mixed dressings are suitable for the treatment of diabetic ulcer patients in a clinical setting.
Diabetic Ulcers, Honey, Phoenix dactylifera, Sea Cucumber.
- Demetriou M, Papanas N, Panopoulou M, Papatheodorou K, Bounovas A, Maltezos E. Tissue and swab culture in diabetic foot infections: Neuropathic versus neuroischemic ulcers. Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2013; 12(2):87–93. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534734613481975
- Poh Yuen Wen A, Halim AS, Mat Saad AZ, Mohd Nor F, Wan Sulaiman WA. A prospective study evaluating wound healing with sea cucumber gel compared with hydrogel in treatment of skin graft donor sites. Complement Ther Med. 2018; 41:261–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctim.2018.10.006
- Alexiadou K, Doupis J. Management of diabetic foot ulcers. Diabetes Ther. 2012; 3(4):1–15. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13300-012-0004-9
- Kim PJ, Steinberg JS. Complications of the Diabetic Foot. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2013; 42(4):833–47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecl.2013.08.002
- Lindarto D. Holistic management of diabetic foot. IOP ConfSer Earth Environ Sci. 2018; 125(1):1–6. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/125/1/012162
- Harries RL, Bosanquet DC, Harding KG. Wound bed preparation: TIME for an update. Int Wound J. 2016; 13:8–14. https://doi.org/10.1111/iwj.12662
- Astrada A, Nakagami G, Jais S, Sanada H. Successful treatment of a diabetic foot ulcer with exposed bone using Trigona honey: A case study. J Wound Care. 2019; 28(12):S4–8. https://doi.org/10.12968/jowc.2019.28.Sup12.S4
- Nordin A, Omar N, Sainik NQAV, Chowdhury SR, Omar E, Bin Saim A, et al. Low dose stingless bee honey increases viability of human dermal fibroblasts that could potentially promote wound healing. Wound Med. 2018; 23:22–7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wndm.2018.09.005
- Ibrahim N 'Izzah, Wong SK, Mohamed IN, Mohamed N, Chin KY, Ima-Nirwana S, et al. Wound healing properties of selected natural products. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018; 15(11):1–23. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15112360
- Abdennabi R, Othmani A, Triki MA, Gharsallah N. Development of a date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) sap based economical cost effective media suitable for in vitro growth of date palm and microbial culture. EC Agriculture. 2018; 4(1):03–16.
- Jais S. Effectiveness of Traditional KSM dressing and TJ honey on healing acute wounds in rats. Herb Med Open Access. 2019; 5(2):5–8. https://doi.org/10.36648/2472-0184.108.40.206045
- Miguel-Ruiz JES, García-Arrarás JE. Common cellular events occur during wound healing and organ regeneration in the sea cucumber Holothuria glaberrima. BMC Dev Biol. 2007; 7:1–19. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-213X-7-115
- Budiharto I, Pranggono E, Kurniawan T. Effect of sea cucumber extract on diabetic foot ulcers. World Counc Enteros Ther J. 2016; 36(1):34–9. https://doi.org/10.1097/NHH.0000000000000374
- Ridhowati S, Chasanah E, Syah D, Zakaria F. A study on the nutrient substances of sea cucumber Stichopus Variegatus flour using vacuum oven. Int Food Res J. 2018; 25(4):1419–26.
- Patar A, Jaafar H, Jamlullail SMSS, Abdullah JM. The potenstial of Malysiansea cucumber extract in regenerative medicine: How far we can go? Orient Neuron Nexus. 2012; 3(3):14–8.
- Fad'ha G, Arma U, Busman D. Antibacterial activity of gamatsea cucumber extract (Stichopus Variegatus) from Mentawai Islands against streptococcus viridans. Adv Heal Sci Resarch Resarch. 2018; 8(Idcsu 2017):110–2. https://doi.org/10.2991/idcsu-17.2018.29
- Oe M, Yotsu RR, Arisandi D, Suriadi, Sakai Y, Imran, et al. Validity of DMIST for monitoring healing of diabetic foot ulcers. Wound Repair Regen. 2020; 28(4):539–46. https://doi.org/10.1111/wrr.12816
- Alam F, Islam MA, Gan SH, Khalil MI. Honey: A potential therapeutic agent for managing diabetic wounds. Evidence-based Complement Altern Med. 2014; 10.15:1–16. https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/169130
- Elgohary H, Al Jaouni S, Selim S. Wound healing: In response to natural remedies and phototherapy. Int J Res Pharm Sci. 2017; 8(4):568–75.
- Abdennabi R, Bardaa S, Mehdi M, Rateb ME, Raab A, Alenezi FN, et al. Phoenix dactylifera L. sap enhances wound healing in Wistar rats: Phytochemical and histological assessment. Int J Biol Macromol. 2016; 88:443–50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2016.0 4.015
- Hasson SS, Al-Shaqsi MS, Albusaidi JZ, Al-Balushi MS, Hakkim FL, Aleemallah GM, et al. Influence of different cultivars of Phoenix dactylifera L-date fruits on blood clotting and wound healing. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2018; 8(7):371–6. https://doi.org/10.4103/2221-1691.237081
- Taleb H, Maddocks SE, Morris RK, Kanekanian AD. Chemical characterisation and the anti-inflammatory, anti-angiogenic and antibacterial properties of date fruit (Phoenix dactylifera L.). J Ethnopharmacol. 2016; 194:457–68. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2016.10.032
- Al-Shwyeh HA. Date palm (Phoenix dactylifera L.) fruit as potential antioxidant and antimicrobial agents. J Pharm Bioallied Scile. 2019; 11(1):1–11. https://doi.org/10.4103/JPBS.JPBS_168_18
- Meer S, Akhtar N, Mahmood T, Igielska-Kalwat J. Efficacy of Phoenix dactylifera L. (Date Palm) creams on healthy skin. Cosmetics. 2017; 4(2):1–8. https://doi.org/10.3390/cosmetics4020013
- Haryanto, Ogai K, Suriadi, Nakagami G, Oe M, Nakatani T et al. A prospective observational study using sea cucumber and honey as topical therapy for diabetic foot ulcers in Indonesia. J Wellness Heal Care. 2017; 41(2):41–56.
- Shakouri A, Shoushizadeh MR, Nematpour F. Antimicrobial activity of sea cucumber (Stichopus Variegatus) body wall extract in Chabahar Bay, Oman sea. Jundishapur J Nat Pharm Prod. 2017; 12(1):1–5. https://doi.org/10.5812/jjnpp.32422
- Bolton LL. Quality randomized clinical trials of topical diabetic foot ulcer healing agents. Adv Wound Care. 2016; 5(3):137–47. https://doi.org/10.1089/ wound.2014.0571
- Suriadi RN,Wida KB. DMIST Scale for Predicting Healing Time within 12 Weeks in Patients with Diabetic Ulcer. Eur J MolClin Med. 2020; 7(10):2285– 95.
Abstract Views: 204
PDF Views: 152