Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
The Hypoglycemic and Hypolipidemic Effect of 5- Naphthalidin-2, 4 Thiazolidinedione Derivatives in Alloxan Induced Type Ii Diabetic Model
Objective: The present study was undertaken to study antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic potentials of 5- naphthalidin-2, 4-thiazolidinediones derivatives and its interaction with rosiglitazone in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Methods: Diabetes was induced in male swiss albino rats by single intramuscular injection of alloxan (0.15 mg/Kg i.m) and NIDDM-rats received 4b, 4c or 4d (36 mg/Kg, p.o). Fasting blood glucose (FBG) levels were measured by glucose-oxidase & peroxidase reactive strips. Serum biochemical parameters such as total cholesterol (TC), triglycerides (TG), very low density lipoprotein (VLDL), low density lipoprotein (LDL) and high density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol were estimated. The statistical analysis of results was carried out using Student t-test and one-way analysis (ANOVA) followed by Duncan's Multiple Range Test (DMRT). Results: The results revealed that 4b, 4c and 4d showed promising results by lowering the blood glucose. Moreover, 4c compound displayed high efficiency for lowering lipid profiles compared to others. Conclusion: These results suggest that taking 5- naphthalidin-2, 4 TZD orally twice/day is a valuable treatment for Non insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) and hypolipidemic agent. They exert their effects through altering regulation genes in glucose and lipid metabolisms in diabetic rats.
Diabetes, Free radical scavenging activity, RIN-5F cells, Diseased human lung fibroblast.
- Garima B et.al. An overview on medicinal perspective of thiazolidine-2, 4- dione: A remarkable scaffold in the treatment of type 2 diabetes. J of Adv Res. 2020; 23(1):163–205.
- Prasad DS, Kabir Z, Dash AK, and Das BC, Abdominal obesity, an independent cardiovascular risk factor in Indian subcontinent: a clinico epidemiological evidence summary. J of Cardiovas Dis Res. 2011; 32(2): 199–205.
- Clee SM, Attie AD. The genetic landscape of type-2 diabetes in mice. Endocrino Rev.2006; 28(2): 48–83.
- Mohammad S, Ramesh B. Synthesis, characterization of 2, 4 -thiazolidinedione derivatives and evaluation of their antioxidant activity. J of drug deliv and ther. 2013; 3(6): 96-101.
- Tanga W, Lia S, Liub Y, Huang MT, Ho CT. Anti-diabetic activity of chemically profiled green tea and black tea extracts in a type 2 diabetes mice model via different mechanisms. J of Func foods.2013; 5: 1784–937.
- Chandrashekhara S. Kalpana D, Rekha S. Thiazolidin-4-one derivatives on human lung fibroblast shows oxygen free radical scavenging activity. Int. Res. J. Pharm. 2020; 11(2):1-9.
- Cheng KH, Fu YC, Rong SL, Moon JY. iGEMDOCK: a graphical environment of enhancing GEMDOCK using pharmacological interactions and post-screening analysis. BMC Bioinf. 2011; 12(1):33-36.
- Hassan Z, Yam MF, AhmadM, Pauzi AM. Yusof. Antidiabetic Properties and Mechanism of Action of Gynura procumbens water extract in streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Molecules. 2010; 15(1): 908-23.
- Rekha.S, Chandrashekhara.S. Insilico Proportional Molecular Docking Study and Analysis of Insulinotropic Activity of TZD Derivatives by PPARγ Activation. J of Pharma Sci and Res.2017; 9(10): 1799-808.
- Arpita KG, Sriram PS, Subramanian. Evaluation of Antidiabetic and Antioxidant Activity of Praecitrullus fistulosus Fruits in STZ Induced Diabetic Rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 7(2): 2014; 196-203.
- Vidyasabbani, Ramesh A, Shobharani S. Comparative In vitro antidiabetic and antioxidant activity of Pulicaria wightinia, Curcuma inodora, Derris scandens leaf extracts. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(6): 1615-1620.
- Chisto A, Sako S. Triton WR-1339 an inhibitor of lipoprottien lipase, decreases vit E concentration in some tissues of rats by inhibiting transport to liver. J of Nutr. 2007; 137:345-50
- James E, Daisy P, Ignacimuthub S, Duraipandiyan V. Normo-glycemic and hypolipidemic effect of costunolide isolated from Costus speciosus (Koen ex. Retz.) in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Chemi-Bio Int. 2009; 179(1): 329–334.
- Ansarullah RN. Jadeja MC, Thounaojam VP, Devekar RV, A. V. Ramchandran Antihyperlipidemic potential of a polyherbal prepration on triton WR 1339 (Tyloxapol) induced hyperlipidemia: A comparision with lovastatin. Int J of Gr Pharm. 2009; 1(1):119-24.
- Hozumi T et.al.. Long term effects of dietry fiber supplementation on serum glucose and lipoprotein levels in diabetic rats fed a high cholesterol diet. Endocr J. 1995; 104:539-52
- Selvakumar D, Vijaya S. Design, synthesis and evaluation of vanillin Semicarbazones as hypoglycemic agents in alloxan-induced diabetes in rats. J of Pharm Res. 2012; 5(5): 2441-2442.
- Arunachalam K, Thangaraj P. Antidiabetic and enzymatic antioxidant properties from methanol extract of Ficus talboti bark on diabetic rats induced by streptozotocin. Asian Pac J of Repro.2014; 3(2): 97-105
- Punasiya R, Joshi A, Patidar K. Antidiabetic effect of an aqueous extract of pomegranate (punica granatum l.) peels in normal and alloxan diabetic rats. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 3(1): Jan. - Mar. 2010; Page 272-274.
- Godavari A, Amutha K. In-vitro anti-diabetic activity of garcinia mangostana by enzymatic inhibition assay. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(2): 508-512.
- Vinayagam R et.al Antidiabetic Activity of Gold Nanoparticles Synthesized Using Wedelolactone in RIN-5F Cell Line. Antioxidants. 2020; 9(1): 1-8.
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 0