Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
GC-MS Analysis of Phytochemicals and Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles from Amaranthus Parganensis.
There are different kinds of flora found across the world. Diverse variety of plants are there like ornamental plants, indoor plants, vegetable crops, medicinal plants, wild plants etc. Every plant has its own significance and utilizations in diverse fields. Mainly medicinal plants have therapeutic uses in the drug development process. But even other type of plants such as vegetable crops have been found to have medicinal values. Therefore, green vegetables are essential part of our diet from ancient times. This study focuses on evaluating the properties of a leafy vegetable herb namely Amaranthus parganensis. The biologically active compounds that were found through GC-MS revealed the presence of phytol; squalene; 9-Octadecenoic acid (Z)-, 2-hydroxy-1-(hydroxymethyl) ethyl ester; N-Hexadecanoic Acid; 3,4,5-Trimethoxy-2',4'-diaminodiphenylsulfide; 3,7,11,15-Tetramethyl-2-hexadecen-1-ol and Ethoxy(methoxy)methyl silane in varied amounts. Furthermore, silver nanoparticles which has therapeutic applications may be synthesized from Amaranthus parganensis. We conclude through this study that Amaranthus parganensis has bioactive compounds which may have therapeutic value. Also, we have shown that the plant could be a potential source for silver nanoparticles synthesis which may have therapeutic applications.
Amaranthus parganensis, Phytochemicals, GC-MS, Silver nanoparticles, Green synthesis.
- Fabricant DS., Farnsworth NR. The Value of Plants Used in Traditional Medicine for Drug Discovery. Environ. Health Perspect. 2001; 109: 69–75.
- Mahadeva Rao U.S et al. Screening of Phytochemicals and Comparative Antioxidant activity of Leaf and Fruit of MalaysianMengkudu Using Aqueous and Organic Solvent Extracts. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(9): 1064-1072.
- Ranjitha Dhevi V.S et al. Potential Medicinal Plants to Treat Leprosy - A Review. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(2): 813-821.
- Yuan H et al. The Traditional Medicine and Modern Medicine from Natural Products. Molecules. 2016; 21(5): 559.
- Chen SL et al. Conservation and sustainable use of medicinal plants: problems, progress, and prospects. Chin Med. 2016; 11(37).
- Cowan M. Plant products as antimicrobial agents. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 1999; 12(4): 564–582.
- Muthukumaran P, Shanmuganathanm P and Malathi C. Antioxidative and antimicrobial study of Aerva lanata. Asian Journal of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2011; 2(1): 265-271.
- Sasidharan S et al. Extraction, isolation and characterization of bioactive compounds from plants’ extracts. Afr. J. Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2011; 8(1): 1–10.
- Abutbul S et al. Screening of desert plants for use against bacterial pathogens in fish. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture - Bamidgeh. 2005; 57(2): 71-80.
- Khan AW et al. Phytochemical analysis and enzyme inhibition assay of Aerva javanica for ulcer. Chemistry Central Journal. 2012; 6(76): 1-6.
- Peter K, Gandhi P. Rediscovering the therapeutic potential of Amaranthus species: A review. Egyptian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 2017; 4(3): 196-205
- Das S. Amaranthus parganensis (Amaranthaceae), a New Species from West Bengal, India. Novon: A Journal for Botanical Nomenclature. 2015; 23(4): 406-410.
- Nana FW et al. Phytochemical composition, antioxidant and xanthine oxidase inhibitory activities of Amaranthus cruentus L. and Amaranthus hybridus L. extracts Pharmaceuticals. 2012; 5(6): 613-628
- Sharma N, Gupta PC, Rao Ch V. Nutrient content, mineral content antioxidant activity of Amaranthus viridis and Moringa oleifera leaves. Res J Med plants. 2012; 6(3): 253-259.
- Jimoh MO, Afolayan AJ and Lewu FB. Antioxidant and phytochemical activities of Amaranthus caudatus L. harvested from different soils at various growth stages. Sci Rep 2019; 9: 12965.
- Amabye T. Evaluation of Physiochemical, Phytochemical, Antioxidant and Antimicrobial Screening Parameters of Amaranthus spinosus Leaves. Nat Prod Chem Res. 2015; 4(1).
- Ritu Paliwal et al. Elucidation of Free Radical Scavenging and Antioxidant Activity of Aqueous and Hydro-Ethanolic Extracts of Moringa oleifera Pods. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2011; 4(4): 566-571.
- Bharathi V, Vijaya Anand A. Chemical Characterization from GC-MS Studies of Ethanolic Extract of Macrotyloma uniflorum. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(3): 238-240.
- Palaniswamy S and Gurusamy K. Free radical scavenging activity of Amaranthus blitum. Pharmacology online. 2010; 3: 625-636.
- Iordache A et al. Characterization of some plant extracts by GC–MS. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Interactions With Materials and Atoms. 2009; 267(2): 338–342
- Suman T, Chakkaravarthi K, Elangomathavan R. Phyto-chemical profiling of Cleistanthus collinus leaf extracts using GC-MS analysis. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2013; 6(11): 1173-1177.
- Priya S, Nethaji S, Sindhuja S. GC-MS Analysis of Some Bioactive Constituents of Diospyros virginian. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2014; 7(4): 429-432
- Kanagavalli U et al. Plant Assisted Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Boerhaavia diffusa Leaves Extract and Evolution of Antibacterial Activity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(8): 1064-1068.
- Shamalie A and Kalaimathi J. A Comparative Antimicrobial Activity of Annona Squamosa Aqueous Leaves Extract and its Mediated Synthesized Silver Nanoparticles. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(12): 2228-2233.
- Krithiga N, Rajalakshmi A and Jayachitra A. Green Synthesis of Silver Nanoparticles Using Leaf Extracts of Clitoria ternatea and Solanum nigrum and Study of Its Antibacterial Effect against Common Nosocomial Pathogens. Journal of Nanoscience. 2015; (1): 8
- Anket Sharma et al. Phytochemical and Elemental Analysis of Brassica juncea L. Leaves using GC-MS and SEM-EDX. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2015; 8(12): 1662-1664.
- Manimaran T et al. Biosynthesis of Green Nanoparticles from Occimum sanctum and their Characterization. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2016; 9(4): 397-400. 28. Forough M and Farhadi K. Biological and green synthesis of silver nanoparticles. Turkish J. Eng. Env. Sci. 2010; 34(4): 281-287.
- Suresh Dhanaraj P et al. Biosynthesis and Characterization of Silver Nanoparticles from Aspergillus niger and its Antibacterial Activity. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2018; 11(12): 5282-5286.
- Sudha T, Chidambarampillai S and Mohan VR. GC-MS analysis of bioactive components of aerial parts of Fluggea leucopyrus Willd. (Euphorbiaceae). Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science. 2013; 3(5): 126-130
- Aparna V et al. Anti-inflammatory property of n-hexadecanoic acid: Structural evidence and kinetic assessment. Chem Biol Drug Des 2012; 80: 434-9.
- J Hussein, Hussein and Al-Masudi, Hadi and Hameed, Imad. Study of chemical composition of Foeniculum vulgare using Fourier transform infrared spectrophotometer and gas chromatography -mass spectrometry. Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy. 2016; 8(3): 60-89.
Abstract Views: 10
PDF Views: 0