Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Self Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SMEDDS): A Novel Approach to Improve the Therapeutic Efficacy of Orally Administered Drug
The oral route is most preferred one as there is ease of administration and it is a painless approach. This favored route is restricted to those drug molecules that are absorbent over gastric mucosa. One of the promising techniques is SMEDDS. Self-micro emulsifying drug delivery system has gained more attention due to enhanced oral bioavailability enabling a reduction in dose, more consistent temporal profiles of drug absorption, selective targeting of drug towards specific absorption window in GIT, and protection of drugs from the unreceptive environment in the gut. SMEDDS provide the dissolved drugs form,and also its small size of droplets imparts substantial interfacial area for the absorption of drugs. It can simply get penetrated into the GIT which is the major advantages over another emulsion. The present study is performed for the motivation of the graduates towards publication and research. Hence, we have encouraged the graduates to prepare an informative article on the present subject.
SMEDDS, Oral Drug Delivery, GIT, Solubility, Bioavailability.
- Shraddha D. Pawar NAG, Bhushan R.Rane, Sunil P. Pawar. Selfmicro emulsifying drug delivery system (smedds): apromising drug delivery system for enhancement of bioavailability. Indian Journal of Drugs. 2016; 4(3): 90-108.
- Sheo Datta Maurya RKKA, G. Rajpal, Ram C. Dhakar. Self-Micro Emulsifying Drug Delivery Systems (Smedds): A Review On Physico-Chemical And Biopharmaceutical Aspects. Journal of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2017; 7(3): 55-65.
- Pouton CW. Lipid formulations for oral administration of drugs: non-emulsifying, self-emulsifying and 'self-microemulsifying' drug delivery systems. European journal of pharmaceutical sciences : official journal of the European Federation for Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2000; 11 Suppl 2:S 93-8.
- Deepa P, Krutika KS. Self Micro-Emulsifying Drug Delivery System: Formulation Development and Biopharmaceutical Evaluation of Lipophilic Drugs. Current drug delivery. 2009; 6(4): 419-24.
- Craig DQM, Barker SA, Banning D, Booth SW. An investigation into the mechanisms of self-emulsification using particle size analysis and low frequency dielectric spectroscopy. International journal of pharmaceutics. 1995; 114(1): 103-10.
- Gershanik T, Benita S. Self-dispersing lipid formulations for improving oral absorption of lipophilic drugs. European journal of pharmaceutics and biopharmaceutics : official journal of Arbeitsgemeinschaft fur Pharmazeutische Verfahrenstechnik eV. 2000; 50(1): 179-88.
- Jang Y-J, Cho KH. Preparation and characterization of solidified SMEDDS containing flurbiprofen by spray drying method. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 11(1): 108-9.
- Kamel R, Basha M. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of rutin nanostructured liquisolid delivery system. Bulletin of Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University. 2013;51(2):2 61-72.
- Dokania S, Joshi AK. Self-microemulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS) – challenges and road ahead. Drug delivery. 2015; 22(6): 675-90.
- Akula S, Gurram AK, Devireddy SR. Self-Microemulsifying Drug Delivery Systems: An Attractive Strategy for Enhanced Therapeutic Profile. International Scholarly Research Notices. 2014; 2014: 11.
- Chen Y, Li G, Wu X, Chen Z, Hang J, Qin B, et al. SelfMicroemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SMEDDS) of Vinpocetine: Formulation Development and in Vivo Assessment. Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin. 2008; 31(1): 118-25.
- Ansari KA, Pagar KP, Anwar S, Vavia PR. Design and optimization of self-microemulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS) of felodipine for chronotherapeutic application. Brazilian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2014; 50: 203-12.
- Khan BA BS, Khan H, Mahmood T, Rasul A. Basics of self micro emulsifying drug delivery system. Journal of pharmacy and alternative medicine. 2012; 1.
- Swati Gokul Talele VRG. Novel approaches for solidification of SMEDDS. J Pharm BioSci. 2015;5:90-101.
- Lade S TU, Burle S, Kosalge S. Self emulsifying drug delivery system- A novel approach to improve oral bioavailability. Eur Jour Pharm Med Res. 2016; 3(1): 164-73.
- Li F, Hu R, Wang B, Gui Y, Cheng G, Gao S, et al. Selfmicroemulsifying drug delivery system for improving the bioavailability of huperzine A by lymphatic uptake. Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B. 2017; 7(3): 353-60.
- Pandey V, Kohli S. SMEDDS of pioglitazone: Formulation, invitro evaluation and stability studies. Future Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2017; 3(1): 53-9.
- Suparna S. Bakhle JGA. Development and Evaluation of Liquid and Solid Self-microemulsifying Drug Delivery System of Lovastatin. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2016; 10(1): 22.
- Wu H, Long X, Yuan F, Chen L, Pan S, Liu Y, et al. Combined use of phospholipid complexes and self-emulsifying microemulsions for improving the oral absorption of a BCS class IV compound, baicalin. Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica B. 2014; 4(3): 217-26.
- Sapra K SA, Singh SK, Kakkar S. Self emulsifying drug delivery system: A tool in solubility enhancement of poorly soluble drugs. Indo global journal of pharmaceutical science. 2012; 2(30): 313-32.
- Pattewar S KS, Pande V, Sharma S. . Self microemulsifying drug delivery system: A lipid based drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2016; 7(2): 443-52.
- Durgacharan Arun Bhagwat JIDS. Formulation and evaluation of solid self micro emulsifying drug delivery system using aerosil 200 as solid carrier. International Current Pharmaceutical Journal 2012; 1(12): 414-9.
- Rawat S DD, Parve BS, Shinde PR. Self emulsifying drug delivery system: A method for bioavailability enhancement. International journal of pharmaceutical, chemical and biological sciences. 2014; 4(3): 479-94.
- Qureshi MJ, Mallikarjun C, Kian WG. Enhancement of solubility and therapeutic potential of poorly soluble lovastatin by SMEDDS formulation adsorbed on directly compressed spray dried magnesium aluminometasilicate liquid loadable tablets: A study in diet induced hyperlipidemic rabbits. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015; 10(1): 40-56.
- Prajapati ST, Joshi HA, Patel CN. Preparation and Characterization of Self-Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System of Olmesartan Medoxomil for Bioavailability Improvement. Journal of Pharmaceutics. 2013;2013:9.
- Abdalla A KS, Mader K. A new selfemulsifying drug delivery system (SEDDS) for poorly soluble drugs: Characterization, dissolution, in vitro digestion and incorporation into solid pellets. European journal of pharmaceutical sciences : official journal of the European Federation for Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2008; 35: 457-64.
- Tak JW, Poudel BK, Shiva P, Go TK, Woo Kb, Kim DS, et al. Preparation and optimization of fenofibrate loaded selfmicroemulsifying drug delivery system (SMEDDS) by application of box-behnken design. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2015.
- Prachi S PS, Upendra SK, Shipra S, Ali A. A review on self microemulsifying drug delivery system: An approach to enhance the oral bioavailability of poorly water soluble drugs. Int Res Jour Pharm. 2012; 3(9): 1-6.
- Bipin kumar DJ DPM. Self microemulsifying drug delivery system: A Review. World journal of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences. 2016;5(4):2215-32.
- Maulik J. Patel SSP, Natvarlal M. Patel, Madhabhai M. Patel. A Self-Microemulsifying Drug Delivery System (SMEDDS). International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research 2010;4(3):29-35.
Abstract Views: 375
PDF Views: 0