Open Access Subscription Access
HPTLC Finger Printing of Solanum nigrum L. Variants Black and Orange Fruits
A simple and rapid HPTLC analysis was developed for the quantitative determination of diosgenin and solasodine from hydroethanolic extract of Solanum nigrum L. The two variants of Solanum nigrum - black and orange fruits - are used in various parts of the world as food and medicine drastically. These two variants showed distinctive features in morphology and anatomy. To probe the phytoconstituent variation among these two variants, HPTLC analysis was done and the results of present HPTLC analysis showed important differences in peak values. So this study may provide scientific validation on spectral characteristics of two variants of Solanum nigrum L. with black and orange fruits.
Diosgenin, HPTLC, Hydroethanolic Extract, Solanum nigrum, Solanaceae, Solasodine
- Dhasmana M, Simon L, Narayanaswamy P, Rathore RKS, Sreeramu BS. Characterization of Solanum nigrum L. genotypes by morphological and RAPD markers. Med Aro Plant Sci Biotech. 2007; 1(2):257–62.
- Nyeem MAB, Rashid AKMMU, Nowrose M, Hossain Md A. Solanum nigrum (Maku): A review of pharmacological activities and clinical effects. Int J Appl Res. 2007; 3(1):12–7.
- Giulietti AM. Solanum elaeginifolium Cav. In vitro culture and production of solasodine. Biotechnology in Agriculture, Forestry, Medicinal and Aromatic Plants [Bajaj, Y.P.S. (ed.)], Germany, Berlin: Springer Verlag, 1991; 15:432–50. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642- 84071-5_26
- Eltayeb EA, Al-Sinani SS, Khan IA. Determination of the glycoalkaloids solanine and chacorine levels in 18 varieties of potato (Solarium tuberosum L.) grown in Oman. Potato Research. 2003; 46: 57. https://doi. org/10.1007/BF02736103
- Gheewala NK, Saralaya MG, Sonara,GB, Gheewala TN. Phytochemical evaluation of total glycoalkaloid of dried fruit of Solanum nigrum Linn. Curr Pharm Res. 2013; 3(4):1010–3. https://doi.org/10.33786/JCPR.2013. v03i04.005
- Gamble JS. Flora of Presidency of Madras. Vol.3. Culcutta, India: Botanical Survey of India, 1957. p. 816.
- Matthew KM. The Flora of Tamil Nadu Carnatic, Vol. III. The Rapinat Herbarium, St. Joseph’s College, Tiruchirapalli. 1983.
- Nair NC, Henry AN. Flora of Tamil Nadu, India, Series I, Vol. I. Coimbatore, India: Botanical Survey of India, Southern Circle. 1983.
- Anonymous. The Wealth of India. Vol. I. New Delhi: CSIR, 1992; 56–7.
- Chatterjee A, Pakrashi SK. The Treatise on Indian Medicinal Plants, Publication and Information Directorate, New Delhi. 1994; 1:70–5.
- Kirtikar KR, Basu BD. Indian Medicinal Plants. India: Dehra Dun. B.S.M.P. Singh Publishing Co. 1935; 3:1762.
- Jeyasree J, Jenifer S. Priya S, Sukumaran V, Kezia Laveena D. HPLC spectral analysis of phytochemicals in Solanum nigrum L. and Target protein identification. World J Pharm Pharmaceu Sci. 2014; 3(12):1182–92.
- Sethi PD. Introduction. HPTLC - High Performance Thin Layer Chromatography, 1st ed. New Delhi: CBS Publishers and Distributors; 1996.
- Abbas K, Niaz U, Hussain T, Saeed MA, Javaid Z, Idrees A, Rasool S. Antimicrobial activity of fruits of Solanum nigrum and Solanum xarthocarpum. Acta Pol Pharm. 2014; 71(3):415–21.
- Qiao C, Han Q, Song J, Mo S, Kong L. Chemical fingerprint and quantitative analysis of Fructus psoraleae by high-performance liquid chromatography. Journal of Separation Science. 2007; 30:813–8. https:// doi.org/10.1002/jssc.200600339. PMid: 17536725.
- Lu H, Liang Y, Chen S. Identification and quality assessment of Houttuyniacor data injection using GC-MS fingerprint: A standardization approach. Journal of Ethno Pharmacology. 2006; 105:436–40. https://doi. org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.11.018. PMid: 16384679.
- Li K, Wang S. Fingerprint chromatogram analysis of extracts from the leaves of Tripterygium wilfordii Hook. F. by High Performance Liquid Chromatography. Journal of Seperation Science. 2005; 28:653–7. https:// doi.org/10.1002/jssc.200400106. PMid: 15912735.
- Tlkunove YM, Khrustaleva LI, Karlov G. Application of ISSR markers in the genus Lycopersicon. Euphytica, 2003; 131(1):71–81. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023090318492
Abstract Views: 20
PDF Views: 9