Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Changing Role of College Librarians’ in Autonomous Environment: A Study
According to University Grants Commission (UGC) guidelines for autonomy, the only way to improve quality in higher education is to assign academic freedom to colleges affiliated to the university. Quality education is the prime motto of the Indian government and to ensure quality in higher education government of India is endorsing academic autonomy from the last few years. To assess the influences on the academic libraries of an autonomous environment and to examine whether there is any change in the role of academic librarians the researcher opted for the present study. Twenty-five autonomous college librarians from Mumbai were selected as the population for the study. The Role Efficacy scale of Udai Pareek was used to analyze the changing role of librarians with telephone interview. The present study throws some light on the changing role of librarians in the autonomous environment.
Libraries, Autonomy, College Libraries, Quality Education, Role of Librarians.
- Autonomy (2019). In Oxford English dictionary. Retrieved from https://www.lexico.com/definition/autonomy.
- University Grants Commission (2019). UGC guidelines for autonomous colleges. Retrieved from https://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/0722837_guidelines-autonomous-colleges.pdf.
- Ministry of Education (1966). Report of the education commission, 1964-66. New Delhi: Author. Retrieved from http://dise.in/Downloads/KothariCommissionVol.1pp.1-287.pdf.
- Mumbai (2019). Retrieved from https://www.britannica.com/place/Mumbai.
- Pareek, U. (1987). Motivating Organizational Roles: Role Efficacy Approach. Jaipur: Rawat Publications.
- Biddle, B. J. (1997). Recent Research on the Role of the Teacher. In: B.J. Biddle, T. L. Good & I. F. Goodson, (Eds.) International Handbook of Teachers and Teaching. Vol.1 Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic. https://doi.org/10.1007/97894-011-4942-6.
- Pettinger, R. (2000). Mastering Organizational Behaviour. New York: Palgrave.
- Katz, D. and Kahn, R. L. (1966). The Social Psychology of Organizations. New York: John Wiley.
- Powdwal, S. C. (2007). Solo Librarians in Mumbai a Study. Doctoral dissertation, SNDT Women’s University. Retrieved from http://hdl.handle.net/10603/6403.
- Ganesan, A. (2000). The Impact of Autonomy on Libraries in Autonomous College in Tamil Nadu. Doctoral Dissertation, Bharathidasan University. Retrieved from http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in:8080/jspui/handle/10603/117540.
- Arul, T. (2006). Administration of Autonomous College Libraries with Reference to Madurai Kamraj University. Doctoral Dissertation, Madurai Kamraj University, Madurai. Retrieved from http://shodhganga.inflibnet.ac.in/handle/10603/135949.
- Barbakoff, A. (2010). Libraries build autonomy: A philosophical perspective on the social role of libraries and librarians. Library Philosophy and Practice (e-journal), 463.
- Shin, J. and Jung, J. (2014). Academics job satisfaction and job stress across countries in the changing academic environments. Higher Education, 67(5):603-620. Retrieved March 20, 2021, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/43648677, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-013-9668-y.
- Dawa, D. S. (2017). Changing role of librarians in the digital library environment: skills, current trends and challenges. International Journal of Library and Information Science, 6(6):68-74. http://www.iaeme.com/IJLIS/issues.asp?JType=IJLIS&VType=6&IType=6.
Abstract Views: 270
PDF Views: 8