Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Leadership - Dignity Framework: The Role of Individualized Human Resource Management (HRM) Practices
In the wake of multitude of crises that we face today, the humanistic management of organizations has become a moral imperative. Recently ‘Workplace Dignity’ has found its mention in the contemporary analyses of work, ethnographies and inquiries into humanization of work. This study introduces a leadership - dignity framework in the context of individualized human resource management (HRM) practices like Idiosyncratic deals (I-deals). A new leadership – dignity framework is presented and further, drawing upon the social comparison and self-verification theory, it examines the role of extension of I-deals in the leader-employee relationship under the dignity paradigm. The paper contributes to the leader-employee relationship literature with relevant inputs towards conceptualization of dignity at work, enhancing the overall employee experiences in organizations.
- Adam, H., Obodaru, O. & Galinsky, A. D. (2015), “Who You Are Is Where You Are: Antecedents and Consequences of Locating the Self in the Brain or the Heart”, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 128: 74–83. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.obhdp.2015.03.004
- Arnold, K. A., Turner, N., Barling, J., Kelloway, E. K. & McKee, M. C. (2007), “Transformational Leadership and Psychological Well-Being: The Mediating Role of Meaningful Work”, Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 12(3): 193–203. https:/ /doi.org/10.1037/1076-89126.96.36.199
- Bailey, J. (2018), The Shifting Landscape of Employee Experience, EY Seren., https:// www.ey-seren.com/thoughts/the-shiftinglandscape-of-employee-experience
- Bal, M. (2017), Dignity in the Workplace. New Theoretical Perspectives (First), Palgrave Macmillan, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-55245-3
- Bass, B. M. (1998), Transformational Leadership: Industrial, Military, and Educational Impact. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, (Place of publication) Mahwah, NJ
- Bass, B. M. & Riggio, R. E. (2006), Transformational Leadership (Second), Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. (Place of publication) Mahwah, NJ
- Bersin, J., Flynn, J., Mazor, A. & Melian, V. (2017), “Culture, engagement, and beyond. 2017”, Global Human Capital Trends, Deloitte Insights. https://www2.deloitte. com/insights/us/en/focus/human-capitaltrends/2017/improving-the-employee-experience-culture-engagement.html
- Bolton, S. C. (2007), Dimensions of Dignity at Work (First), Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, UK
- Bono, J. E. & Judge, T. A. (2003), “Core SelfEvaluations: A Review of the Trait and Its Role in Job Satisfaction and Job Performance”, European Journal of Personality, 17(SPEC. 1), 5–18. https://doi.org/10.1002/ per.481
- Budhwar, P. S. & Varma, A. (2011), “Emerging HR Management Trends in India and the Way Forward”, Organizational Dynamics, 40(4): 317–25. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.orgdyn.2011.07.009
- Burns, J. M. (1978) Leadership (First), Harper & Row. New York
- Cappelli, P. (2000), “A Market-driven Approach to Retaining Talent”, Harvard Business Review, 78(1): 103–11.
- Chang, C. H., Ferris, D. L., Johnson, R. E., Rosen, C. C. & Tan, J. A. (2012), “Core Self-evaluations: A Review and Evaluation of the Literature”, Journal of Management, 38(1): 81–128. https://doi.org/10.1177/0149206311419661
- DeGroot, T., Kiker, D. S. & Cross, T. C. (2010), “A Meta-Analysis to Review Organizational Outcomes Related to Charismatic Leadership”, Canadian Journal of Administrative Sciences/Revue Canadienne Des Sciences de l’Administration, 17(4): 356– 72. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1936-4490.2000.tb00234.x
- Festinger, L. (1954), “A Theory of Social Comparison Processes”, Human Relations, 7(2):117–40. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 001872675400700202
- Greenhaus, J. H., Callanan, G. A. & Godshalk, V. M. (2000), Career Management (Third Ed.). The Dryden Press, Harcout Inc, USA
- Hicks, D. (2018), Leading with Dignity: “How to Create a Culture That Brings Out the Best in People (First)”, Yale University press, New Haven and London
- Ho, V. T. & Kong, D. T. (2015), “Exploring the Signaling Function of Idiosyncratic Deals and Their Interaction”, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 131: 149–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.obhdp.2015.08.002
- Hodson, R. (2001), Dignity at Work (First). Cambridge University Press.
- Hofstede, G. (1997), Cultures and Organizations: Software of the Mind, McGraw Hill, USA
- Hornung, S., Rousseau, D. M. & Glaser, J. (2009), “Why Supervisors Make Idiosyncratic Deals/ : Antecedents and Outcomes of ideals from a Managerial Perspective”, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 24(8): 738– 64. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940910 996770
- Hornung, S., Rousseau, D. M. & Glaser, J. (2008), “Creating Flexible Work Arrangements Through Idiosyncratic Deals”, Journal of Applied Psychology, 93(3): 655–64. https:/ /doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.93.3.655
- Hui, C., & Lee, C. (2000), “Moderating Effects of Organization-based Self-esteem on Organizational Uncertainty: Employee Response Relationships”, Journal of Management, 26(2): 215–32.
- Judge, T. A., Locke, E. A., Durham, C. C., & Kluger, A. N. (1998). Dispositional effects on job and life satisfaction: The role of core evaluations, Journal of Applied Psychology, 83(1), 17–34.
- Judge, T., Bono, J. & Locke, E. (2000), “Personality and Job Satisfaction: The Mediating Role of Job Characteristics”, Journal of Applied Psychology, 85(2): 237–49.
- Judge, T.A, Locke, E. . & Durham, C. (1997), “The Dispositional Causes of Job Satisfaction: A Core Evaluations Approach”, Research in Organizational Behavior, 19: 151–88.
- Judge, Timothy A. & Piccol, R. F. (2004), “Transformational and Transactional Leadership: A Meta-analytic Test of Their Relative Validity”, Journal of Applied Psychology, 89(5): 755–68. https://doi.org/10.1037/ 0021-9010.89.5.755
- Kant, I. (2010), Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals, Translated by Thomas Kingsmill Abbott, BN Publishing, USA
- Karlsson, J. C. (2012), Organizational Misbehaviour in the Workplace: Narratives of Dignity and Resistance (First), Palgrave Macmillan, UK
- Kovjanic, S., Schuh, S. C., Jonas, K., Quaquebeke, N. V. & Dick, R. V. (2012), “How Do Transformational Leaders Foster Positive Employee Outcomes? A Self-determination-based Analysis of Employees’ Needs as Mediating Links”, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 33:1031–52.
- Lai, L., Rousseau, D. M. & Chang, K. T. T. (2009), “Idiosyncratic Deals: Co-workers as Interested Third Parties”, Journal of Applied Psychology, 94(2): 547–56. https://doi.org/ 10.1037/a0013506
- Lee, M. Y. K. (2008), “Universal Human Dignity: Some Reflections in the Asian Context”, Asian Journal of Comparative Law, 3(1): 1–33. https://doi.org/10.2202/1932- 0205.1076
- Liao, C., Wayne, S. J. & Rousseau, D. M. (2016), “Idiosyncratic Deals in Contemporary Organizations/ : A Qualitative and Meta-analytical Review”, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 37(July): S9–S29. https:// doi.org/10.1002/job
- Lucas, K. (2011), “Blue-collar Discourses of Workplace Dignity: Using Outgroup Comparisons to Construct Positive Identities”, Management Communication Quarterly, 25(2): 353–374. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 0893318910386445
- Lucas, K., Kang, D. & Li, Z. (2013), “Workplace Dignity in a Total Institution: Examining the Experiences of Foxconn’s Migrant Workforce”, Journal of Business Ethics, 114(1): 91–106. https://doi.org/10.1007/ s10551-012-1328-0
- Markus, H. R. & Kitayama, S. (1991), “Culture and the Self/ : Implications for Cognition, Emotion, and Motivation”, Psychological Review 98(2): 224–53. https://doi.org/ 10.1037/0033-295X.98.2.224
- Markus, Hazel Rose & Kitayama, S. (1994), “A Collective Fear of the Collective: Implications for Selves and Theories of Selves”, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 20(5): 568–79. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 0146167294205013
- Ng, T. W. H. & Feldman, D. C. (2010), “Idiosyncratic Deals and Organizational Commitment”, Journal of Vocational Behavior 76: 419–427. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb. 2009.10.006
- North, R. J. & Swann, W. B. (2009), “Self-verification 360°: Illuminating the Light and Dark Sides”, Self and Identity, 8(2–3): 131–46. https://doi.org/10.1080/1529886080 2501516
- Rosen, C. C., Slater, D. J., Chang, C. D. & Johnson, R. E. (2013), “Let ’s Make a Deal/ : Development and Validation of the Ex Post I-Deals Scale”, Journal of Management, 39(3): 709–42. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 0149206310394865
- Rousseau, D. M. (2001), “Flexibility versus Fairness/ ?” Organizational Dynamics 29(4): 260–73.
- Rousseau, D. M. (2005), “I-deals: Idiosyncratic Deals Employees Bargain for Themselves”, Routledge, NY, USA.
- Rousseau, D. M., Ho, V. T& Greenberg, J. (2006) “I-deals: Idiosyncratic Terms in Employment Relationships”, Academy of Management Review, 31(4): 977–94. https://doi.org/ 10.5465/AMR.2006.22527470
- Rousseau, D. M., Hornung, S. & Kim, T. G. (2009), “Idiosyncratic Deals: Testing Propositions on Timing, Content, and the Employment Relationship”, Journal of Vocational Behavior, 74(3): 338–48, https:/ /doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2009.02.004
- Sayer, A. (2007), “Dignity at Work: Broadening the Agenda”, Organization, 14(4): 565–81. https://doi.org/10.1177/ 1350508407078053
- Shamir, B., Robert J . House & Michael B . Arthur (1993), “The Motivational Effects of Charismatic Leadership/ : A Self-Concept Based Theory”, Organization Science, 4(4): 577– 94.
- Sparks, J. R. & Schenk, J. A. (2001), “Explaining the Effects of Transformational Leadership: An Investigation of the Effects of Higherorder Motives in Multilevel Marketing Organizations”, Journal of Organizational Behavior, 22(8): 849–69. https://doi.org/ 10.1002/job.116
- Tepper, B. J., Lambert, L. S., Koopman, J., Matta, F. K., Park, H. M. & Goo, W. (2018), “Examining Follower Responses To Transformational Leadership From a Dynamic, Person-Environment Fit Perspective”, Academy of Management Journal, 61(4): 1343– 68. https://doi.org/10.5465/amj.2014.0163
- Thomas, B. & Lucas, K. (2019), “Development and Validation of the Workplace Dignity Scale”, Group and Organization Management, 44(1): 72–111. https://doi.org/ 10.1177/1059601118807784
- Valcour, M. (2014), “The Power of Dignity in the Workplace”, Harvard Business Review, Review Digital Articles: 2-3.(April 2014)
- Wang, G., Oh, I. S., Courtright, S. H., & Colbert, A. E. (2011), “Transformational Leadership and Performance Across Criteria and Levels: A Meta-analytic Review of 25 Years of Research”, 36 (2): 223–70. https:/ /doi.org/10.1177/1059601111401017
- Wang, S., Liu, Y. & Shalley, C. E. (2018), “Idiosyncratic Deals and Employee Creativity/ : The Mediating Role of Creative Self-efficacy”, Human Resource Management, 57: 1443–53. https://doi.org/10.1002/hrm. 21917
Abstract Views: 25
PDF Views: 0