Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Yoga Based Practices & Creative Problem Solving: The Role of Embodied Self-regulation & Self-transcendence
Given the ever-rising complexity and uncertainty, creative problem solving (CPS) is critical for organizations. The current study examines the relationship of embodied self-regulation (ESR) and self-transcendence (ST) with CPS. It also investigates how the Yogabased Practices (YBP), a holistic intervention, impact ESR and ST. To test the hypotheses, two studies were conducted with a sample of respondents having prior professional experience enrolled in a management program. First study supported the theoretical model of ESR and ST as antecedents of CPS, and second study indicated the positive impact of YBP on ESR and ST, respectively. This research extends the literature on CPS training and discusses the theoretical and managerial implications.
- Amabile, T. M. & Pillemer, J. (2012), “Perspectives on the Social Psychology of Creativity”, The Journal of Creative Behavior, 46(1): 3-15.
- Anderson, J. C. & Gerbing, D. W. (1988), “Structural Equation Modeling in Practice: A Review and Recommended Two-Step Approach”, Psychological Bulletin, 103(3): 411-23.
- Anderson, N., Potocnik, K.& Zhou, J. (2014), “Innovation and Creativity in Organizations: A State-of-the-science Review, Prospective Commentary, and Guiding Framework”, Journal of Management, 40(5): 1297-1333
- Basadur, M. I. N., Runco, M. A & Vega, L. A. (2000), “Understanding How Creative Thinking Skills, Attitudes and Behaviors Work Together: A Causal Process Model”, The Journal of Creative Behavior, 34(2): 77-100.
- Brani, O., Hefferon, K., Lomas, T., Ivtzan, I. & Painter, J. (2014), “The Impact of Body Awareness on Subjective Wellbeing: The Role of Mindfulness”, International Body Psychotherapy Journal, 13(1): 95-107.
- Büssing, A., Hedtstück, A., Khalsa, S. B. S., Ostermann, T. & Heusser, P. (2012a), “Development of Specific Aspects of Spirituality During a 6-month Intensive Yoga Practice”, Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2981523: 1-7, doi: 10.1155/2012/9815
- Büssing, A., Michalsen, A., Khalsa, S. B. S., Telles, S. & Sherman, K. J. (2012b), “Effects of Yoga on Mental and Physical Health: a Short Summary of Reviews”, Evidence- based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 165410: 1-7. doi: 10.1155/ 2012/165410
- Carmeli, A., Gelbard, R. & Reiter-Palmon, R. (2013), “Leadership, Creative Problemsolving Capacity, and Creative Performance: The Importance of Knowledge Sharing”, Human Resource Management, 52(1): 95- 121.
- Chiang, Y. H., Hsu, C. C. & Shih, H. A. (2015), “Experienced High Performance Work System, Extroversion Personality, and Creativity Performance”, Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 32(2): 531-49.
- Chin, S. T. S., Raman, K., Yeow, J. A. & Eze, U. C. (2012), “Relationship Between Emotional Intelligence and Spiritual Intelligence in Nurturing Creativity and Innovation among Successful Entrepreneurs: A Conceptual Framework”, Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 57: 261-67.
- Colzato, L. S., Szapora, A. & Hommel, B. (2012), “Meditate to Create: The Impact of Focused- Attention and Open-monitoring Training on Convergent and Divergent Thinking”, Frontiers in Psychology, 3: 116.
- Corner, P. D. (2009), “Workplace Spirituality and Business Ethics: Insights from an Eastern Spiritual Tradition”, Journal of Business Ethics, 85(3): 377-89.
- Corry, D. A. S., Mallett, J., Lewis, C. A. & Abdel- Khalek, A. M. (2013), “The Creativityspirituality Construct and Its Role in Transformative Coping”, Mental Health, Religion & Culture, 16(10), 979-90.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1997), Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention, Harper Collins, New York
- Dagar, C. & Pandey, A. (2020), “Well-Being at Workplace: A Perspective from Traditions of Yoga and Ayurveda”, in S. K. Dhiman (Ed.), The Palgrave Handbook of Workplace Well-Being, Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- Daubenmier, J. J. (2005), “The Relationship of Yoga, Body Awareness, and Body Responsiveness to Self-objectification and Disordered Eating”, Psychology of Women Quarterly, 29(2): 207-19.
- De Clercq, D., Thongpapanl, N., & Dimov, D. (2011). A Closer Look at Cross-Functional Collaboration and Product Innovativeness: Contingency Effects of Structural and Relational Context. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 28(5), 680-697.
- De Dreu, C. K., Baas, M. & Nijstad, B. A. (2008), “Hedonic Tone and Activation Level in the Mood-creativity Link: Toward a Dual Pathway to Creativity Model”, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 94(5): 739-56.
- De Dreu, C. K., Baas, M. & Nijstad, B. A. (2012), “The Emotive Roots of Creativity: Basic and Applied Issues on Affect and Motivation,” in M. D. Mumford (Ed.), Handbook of Organizational Creativity, Academic Press, New York
- Ding, X., Tang, Y. Y., Tang, R. & Posner, M. I. (2014), “Improving Creativity Performance by Short-term Meditation”, Behavioral and Brain Functions, 10(1): 1-8.
- Feuerstein, G. (2011), The Encyclopedia of Yoga and Tantra, Boston: Shambhala
- Fiori, F., David, N. & Aglioti, S. M. (2014), “Processing of Proprioceptive and Vestibular Body Signals and Self-transcendence in Ashtanga Yoga Practitioners”, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, 8: 734.
- Florida, R. & Goodnight, J. (2005), “Managing for Creativity”, Harvard Business Review, 83(7): 124.
- Fornell, C. & Larcker, D. F. (1981), “Structural Equation Models with Unobservable Variables and Measurement Error: Algebra and Statistics”, Journal of Marketing Research, 18(3): 382–88.
- Fredrickson, B. L. (2001), “The Role of Positive Emotions in Positive Psychology: The Broaden-and-build Theory of Positive Emotions”, American Psychologist, 56(3): 218-26
- Fresco, D. M., Moore, M. T., van Dulmen, M. H., Segal, Z. V., Ma, S. H., Teasdale, J. D. & Williams, J. M. G. (2007), “Initial Psychometric Properties of the Experiences Questionnaire: Validation of a Self-report Measure of Dec entering”, Behavior Therapy, 38(3): 234-46.
- Fuller, C. M., Simmering, M. J., Atinc, G., Atinc, Y. & Babin, B. J. (2016), “Common Methods Variance Detection in Business Research”, Journal of Business Research, 69(8): 3192-98.
- George, J. M. (2007), “Creativity in Organizations”, Academy of Management Annals, 1(1): 439-77.
- Gothe, N., Pontifex, M. B., Hillman, C. & McAuley, E. (2013), “The Acute Effects of Yoga on Executive Function”, Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 10(4): 488-95.
- Grant, A. M. & Hofmann, D. A. (2011), “It’s Not All about Me: Motivating Hand Hygiene among Health Care Professionals by Focusing on Patients”, Psychological Science, 22(12): 1494-99.
- Griera, M. (2017), “Yoga in Penitentiary Settings: Transcendence, Spirituality, and Self-improvement”, Human Studies, 40(1): 77-100.
- Haas, J. (1996), The Relationship of Somatic Awareness to Creative Process: An Experimental Phenomenological Study. (Doctoral dissertation). Available from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Database. (UMI No. 9638966)
- Hair, J. F. J., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L. & Black, W. C. (2009), Multivariate Data Analysis (7th ed.), Prentice Hall, Saddle River, NJ
- Hao, N., Xue, H., Yuan, H., Wang, Q. & Runco, M. A. (2017), “Enhancing Creativity: Proper Body Posture Meets Proper Emotion”, Acta Psychologica, 173: 32-40.
- Herrick, C. M. & Ainsworth, A. D. (2000), “Invest in Yourself: Yoga as a Self-Care Strategy. Nursing Forum, 35 (2): 32-36.
- Hoff, E. V., Carlsson, I. M. & Smith, G. J. W. (2012), “Personality”, in M. D. Mumford (Ed.), Handbook of Organizational Creativity, Academic Press, New York
- Horan, R. (2009), “The Neuropsychological Connection Between Creativity and Meditation”, Creativity Research Journal, 21(2- 3): 199-222.
- Hu, L. T. & Bentler, P. M. (1999), “Cutoff Criteria for Fit Indexes in Covariance Structure Analysis: Conventional Criteria versus New Alternatives”, Structural Equation Modeling: a Multidisciplinary Journal, 6(1): 1-55.
- Isaksen, S. G. (2019), “Unleashing Creative Talent in Organizations–Linking Learning and Creativity through Creative Problem-solving. In M. D. Mumford & E. M. Todd (Eds.) Creativity and Innovation in Organizations, Routledge, New York
- Isen, A. M., Daubman, K. A. & Nowicki, G. P. (1987), “Positive Affect Facilitates Creative Problem Solving”, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 52(6): 1122-31.
- Iyengar, B. K. S. (2008), Yoga: The Path to Holistic Health, Dorling Lindersley, London
- Jaussi, K. S., Randel, A. E. & Dionne, S. D. (2007), “I am, I think I can, and I do: The Role of Personal Identity, Self-efficacy, and Cross-application of Experiences in Creativity at Work”, Creativity Research Journal, 19(2- 3): 247-58.
- Johnstone, B., Cohen, D., Konopacki, K. & Ghan, C. (2016), “Selflessness as a Foundation of Spiritual Transcendence: Perspectives from the Neurosciences and Religious Studies”, The International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, 26(4): 287-303.
- Karwowski, M. & Soszynski, M. (2008), “How to Develop Creative Imagination? Assumptions, Aims and Effectiveness of Role Play Training in Creativity (RPTC), Thinking Skills and Creativity, 3(2): 163-71.
- Kirk, K. M., Eaves, L. J. & Martin, N. G. (1999), “Self-transcendence as a Measure of Spirituality in a Sample of Older Australian Twins”, Twin Research and Human Genetics, 2(2): 81-87.
- Klijn, M. & Tomic, W. (2010), “A Review of Creativity within Organizations from a Psychological Perspective”, Journal of Management Development, 29(4):322-43.
- Kline, R. B. (2015), Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling., Guilford publications., New York
- Magi, K., Kika s, E. & Sood la, P. ( 2018 ), “Effortful Control, Task Persistence, and Reading Skills”. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 54: 42-52.
- Maimone, F. & Sinclair, M. (2014), “Dancing in the Dark: Creativity, Knowledge Creation and (emergent) Organizational Change”, Journal of Organizational Change Management, 27(2): 344-61.
- Maslow, A. H. (1969), “Various Meanings of Transcendence”, Journal of Transpersonal Psychology, 1(1): 56-66.
- Mehling, W. E., Price, C., Daubenmier, J. J., Acree, M., Bartmess, E. & Stewart, A. (2012), “The Multidimensional Assessment of Interoceptive Awareness (MAIA)”, PloS one, 7(11), e48230.
- Mehling, W. E., Wrubel, J., Daubenmier, J. J., Price, C. J., Kerr, C. E., Silow, T. & Stewart, A. L. (2011), “Body Awareness: a Phenomenological Inquiry into the Common Ground of Mind-Body Therapies”, Philosophy, Ethics, and Humanities in Medicine, 6(1): 6.
- Muller, B. C., Gerasimova, A. & Ritter, S. M. (2016), “Concentrative Meditation Influences Creativity by Increasing Cognitive Flexibility”, Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, 10(3): 278.
- Mumford, M. D. & Hunter, S. T. (2005), “Innovation in Organizations: A Multi-level Perspective on Creativity”, Research in multilevel issues, 4(05): 9-73.
- Mumford, M. D., Medeiros, K. E. & Partlow, P. J. (2012), “Creative Thinking: Processes, Strategies, and Knowledge”, The Journal of Creative Behavior, 46(1): 30-47.
- Oppezzo, M. & Schwartz, D. L. (2014), Give Your Ideas Some Legs: The Positive Effect of Walking on Creative Thinking, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 40(4): 1142.
- Parboteeah, K. P., Hoegl, M. & Muethel, M. (2015), “Team Characteristics and Employees' Individual Learning: A Cross-level Investigation, European Management Journal, 33(4): 287-95.
- Reed, P. G. (2013), “Theory of Self-transcendence”, in M. J. Smith, P. R. Liehr (Eds.), Middle Range Theory for Nursing (3rd ed), Springer, New York
- Rogers, M. E. (1980), A Science of Unitary Man”, in J. P. Riehl & C. Roy (Eds.), Conceptual Models for Nursing Practice (2nd ed). Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York
- Sadler-Smith, E. & Shefy, E. (2007), “Developing Intuitive Awareness in Management Education”, Academy of Management Learning & Education, 6(2): 186-205.
- Santanen, E. L., Briggs, R. O. & Vreede, G. J. D. (2004), “Causal Relationships in Creative Problem Solving: Comparing Facilitation Interventions for Ideation”, Journal of Management Information Systems, 20(4): 167-98.
- Scott, G. M., Lonergan, D. C. & Mumford, M. D. (2005), “Conceptual Combination: Alternative Knowledge Structures, Alternative Heuristics”, Creativity Research Journal, 17(1): 79-98.
- Scott, G., Leritz, L. E. & Mumford, M. D. (2004), “The Effectiveness of Creativity Training: A Quantitative Review”, Creativity Research Journal, 16(4): 361-88.
- Shaw, J. A. (2005), “A Pathway to Spirituality”, Psychiatry: Interpersonal and Biological Processes, 68(4): 350-62.
- Sternberg, R. J. & Lubart, T. I. (1996), “Investing in Creativity”, American Psychologist, 51(7), 677.
- Stone, M. (2009), Yoga for a World Out of Balance: Teachings on Ethics and Social Action, Shambhala Publications, Boston
- Szarucki, M. (2013), “Model of Method Selection for Managerial Problem Solving in an Organization”, Business, Management and Education, 11(1): 168-87.
- Tackney, C. T., Chappel l, S . , Harris, D ., Pavlovich, K., Egel, E., Major, R., & Stoner, J. (2017), “Management, Spirituality, and Religion (MSR) Ways and Means: A Paper to Encourage Quality Research”, Journal of Management, Spirituality & Religion, 14(3): 245-54.
- Taneja, D. K. (2014), “Yoga and Health”, Indian Journal of Community Medicine: Official Publication of Indian Association of Preventive & Social Medicine, 39(2): 68.
- Telles, S., Singh, N., Bhardwaj, A. K., Kumar, A. & Balkrishna, A. (2013), “Effect of Yoga or Physical Exercise on Physical, Cognitive and Emotional Measures in Children: a Randomized Controlled Trial”, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health, 7(1): 37.
- Tellhed, U., Daukantaite, D., Maddux, R. E., Svensson, T. & Melander, O. (2019), “Yogic Breathing and Mindfulness as Stress Coping Mediate Positive Health Outcomes of Yoga”. Mindfulness, 10(12): 2703-15.
- Villemure, C., Ceko, M., Cotton, V. A. & Bushnell, M. C. (2014), “Insular Cortex Mediates Increased Pain Tolerance in Yoga Practitioners”, Cerebral Cortex, 24(10): 2732-40.
- Wang, C. W. & Horng, R. Y. (2002), “The Effects of Creative Problem-solving Training on Creativity, Cognitive Type and R&D Performance”, R&D Management, 32(1):35- 45.
- Whetten, D. A. & Cameron, K. S. (2005), Developing Management Skills (6th ed.), Prentice Hall.
- Wink, P. & Helson, R. (1997), “Practical and Transcendent Wisdom: Their Nature and Some Longitudinal Findings”, Journal of Adult Development, 4(1): 1-15.
- Woodyard, C. (2011), “Exploring the Therapeutic Effects of Yoga and Its Ability to Increase Quality of Life”, International Journal of Yoga, 4(2): 49.
Abstract Views: 54
PDF Views: 0