Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Driving Customer Engagement and Loyalty Via Customer Identification in Hospitality Industry
Adopting social identity and congruity theories, this study proposes that value congruity (VC) drives consumer brand identification (CBI), affective brand commitment (ABC) and customer engagement (CE) directly, which results deeper relationship with hospitality brands indirectly (portrayed via customer loyalty/CL). Moreover CBI influences ABC, CE and CL. Conceptual model has been tested empirically by employing structural-equation-modelling method. Self-administered survey has been adopted to collect data from three hundred forty customers in hospitality industry (i.e., 4/5 star hotel brands) in India. Results reveal that VC has been the most illustrative antecedent of CBI, ABC and CE. Results also show that CBI acts as a key driver of ABC, CE and CL. This study offers implications to service marketing practitioners to help in their planning- and implementation- of enduring strategies for building CBI, CE and CL
Value Congruity, Customer Engagement, Affective Brand Commitment, Consumer Brand Identification, Customer Loyalty, Hospitality Brands
- Ahearne, M., Bhattacharya, C. B., & Gruen, T. (2005). Antecedents and consequences of customer-company identification: Expanding the role of relationship marketing. Journal of Applied Psychology, 90(3), 574-585.
- Ahn, J., & Back, K. J. (2019). Antecedents and consequences of customer brand engagement in integrated resorts. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 75, 144-152.
- Anderson, J. C., & Gerbing, D. W. (1988). Structural equation modelling in practice: A review and recommended two-step approach. Psychological Bulletin, 103(3), 411-423.
- Bhattacharya, C. B., & Sen, S. (2003). Consumer company identification: A framework for understanding consumers’ relationships with companies. Journal of Marketing, 67(2), 76-88.
- Brodie, R. J., Hollebeek, L. D., Jurić, B., & Ilić, A. (2011). Customer engagement: Conceptual domain, fundamental propositions, and implications for research. Journal of Service Research, 14(3), 252-271.
- Brodie, R. J., Ilic, A., Juric, B., & Hollebeek, L. (2013). Consumer engagement in a virtual brand community: An exploratory analysis. Journal of Business Research, 66(1), 105-114.
- Büyükdağ, N., & Kitapci, O. (2021). Antecedents of consumer-brand identification in terms of belonging brands. Journal of Retailing and Consumer Services, 59, 102420.
- Byrne, D., Griffitt, W., & Stefaniak, D. (1967). Attraction and similarity of personality characteristics. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 5(1), 82-90.
- Elbedweihy, A., Jayawardhena, C., Elsharnouby, M. H., & Elsharnouby, T. H. (2016). Customer relationship building: The role of brand attractiveness and consumer-brand identification. Journal of Business Research, 69, 2901-2910.
- Erkutlu, H., & Chafra, J. (2016). Value congruence and commitment to change in healthcare organizations. Journal of Advances in Management Research, 13(3), 316-333.
- Escalas, J. E., & Bettman, J. R. (2003). You are what they eat: The influence of reference groups on consumers connections to brands. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 13(3), 339-348.
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. F. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50.
- Fullerton, G. (2003). When does commitment lead to loyalty? Journal of Service Research, 5(4), 333-344.
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Babin, B. J., & Black, W. C. (2010). Multivariate data analysis: A global perspective (vol. 7). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
- Harrigan, P., Evers, U., Miles, M. P., & Daly, T. (2018). Customer engagement and the relationship between involvement, engagement, self-brand connection and brand usage intent. Journal of Business Research, 88, 388-396.
- He, H., Li, Y., & Harris, L. (2012). Social identity perspective on brand loyalty. Journal of Business Research, 65, 648-657.
- Hollebeek, L. D., Conduit, J., & Brodie, R. J. (2017). Strategic drivers, anticipated & unanticipated outcomes of customer engagement. Journal of Marketing Management, 32(5-6), 393-398.
- Hollebeek, L. D., Glynn, M. S., & Brodie, R. J. (2014). Consumer brand engagement in social media: Conceptualization, scale development and validation. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 28(2), 149-165.
- Hollebeek, L. D., & Rather, R. A. (2019). Service innovativeness and tourism customer outcomes. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31(11), 4227-4246.
- Hollebeek, L. D., Srivastava, R. K., & Chen, T. (2019). SD logicinformed customer engagement: Integrative framework, revised fundamental propositions, and application to CRM. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 1-25.
- Johar, J. S., & Sirgy, M. J. (1991). Value-expressive versus utilitarian advertising appeals: When and why to use which appeal. Journal of Advertising, 20(3), 23-33.
- Koo, B., Yu, J., & Han, H. (2020). The role of loyalty programs in boosting hotel guest loyalty: Impact of switching barriers. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 84, 102328.
- Konu, H., Murphy, J., Komppula, R., & Mikkonen, T. (2020). Investigating emotional commitment towards a region and a hotel brand. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 87, forthcoming.
- Kumar, J. (2020). Understanding customer brand engagement in brand communities: An application of psychological ownership theory and congruity theory. European Journal of Marketing, forthcoming.
- Kumar, V., Rajan, B., Gupta, S., & Dalla Pozza, I. (2019). Customer engagement in service. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 47(1), 138-160.
- Lam, S. K., Ahearne, M., Mullins, R., Hayati, B., & Schillewaert, N. (2013). Exploring the dynamics of antecedents to consumer-brand identification with a new brand. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 41(2), 234-252.
- Lam, S. K., Ahearne, M., & Schillewaert, N. (2012). A multinational examination of the symbolic-instrumental framework of consumer-brand identification. Journal of International Business Studies, 43, 306-331.
- Lee, S. A., & Jeong, M. (2014). Enhancing online brand experiences: An application of congruity theory. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 40, 49-58.
- Li, M. W., Teng, H. Y., & Chen, C. Y. (2020). Unlocking the customer engagement-brand loyalty relationship in tourism social media: The roles of brand attachment and customer trust. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 44, 184-192.
- Liu, F., Li, J., Mizerski, D., & Soh, H. (2012). Self-congruity, brand attitude, and brand loyalty: A study on luxury brands. European Journal of Marketing, 46(7/8), 922-937.
- Martinez, P., & Rodriguez Del Bosque Rodriguez, I. (2013). CSR and customer loyalty: The roles of trust, customer identification with the company and satisfaction. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 35, 89-99.
- MSI - Marketing Science Institute. (2010). Research Priorities 2010-2012. Retrieved March 11, 2021, from http://image.sciencenet.cn/olddata/kexue.com.cn/upload/blog/ file/2010/9/201091515178616316.pdf
- MSI - Marketing Science Institute. (2020). Research Priorities 20202022. Retrieved February 7, 2021, from https://www.msi.org/wpcontent/ uploads/2020/06/MSI_RP20-22.pdf
- Odoom, R., Boateng, H., & Asante, B. O. (2017). An empirical investigation of perceived relational benefits and brand engagement in restaurant services. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29(11), 2767-2784.
- Rather, R. A. (2017). Investigating the impact of customer brand identification on hospitality brand loyalty: A social identity perspective. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 1-27.
- Rather, R. A. (2018a). Exploring customers’ attitudes towards the hospitality brands in India: A social identity perspective. In The Branding of Tourist Destinations: Theoretical and Empirical Insights (pp. 207-231). United Kingdom: Emerald Publishing.
- Rather, R. (2018b). Consequences of consumer engagement in service marketing: An empirical exploration. Journal of Global Marketing, 32(2), 116-135.
- Raza, A., Rather, R., Iqbal, M., & Bhutta. U. (2020). An assessment of corporate social responsibility on customer company identification and loyalty in banking industry: A PLS-SEM analysis. Management Research Review, forthcoming.
- Reichheld, F. F. (1996). The loyalty effect: The hidden force behind growth, profits, and lasting value. Boston: Harvard Business School Press, MA.
- Romero, J. (2017). Customer engagement behaviors in hospitality: Customer-based antecedents. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 1-20.
- Ruyter, K. D., Moorman, L., & Lemmink, J. (2001). Antecedents of commitment and trust in customer supplier relationships in high technology markets. Industrial Marketing Management, 30(3), 271-286.
- Shams, G., Rehman, M. A., Samad, S., & Rather, R. (2020a). The impact of the magnitude of service failure and complaint handling on satisfaction and brand credibility in the banking industry. Journal of Financial Services Marketing, 25, 25-34.
- Shams, G., Rather, R., Rehman, M. A., & Nawaz, L. B. (2020b). Hospitality-based service recovery, outcome favourability, satisfaction with service recovery, and consequent customer loyalty: An empirical analysis. International Journal of Culture, Tourism, and Hospitality, forthcoming.
- Sheth, J. N. (2011). Impact of emerging markets on marketing: Rethinking existing perspectives and practices. Journal of Marketing, 75(4), 166-182.
- So, K. K. F., King, C., & Sparks, B. (2014). Customer engagement with tourism brands: Scale development and validation. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 38(3), 304-329.
- So, K. K. F., King, C., Hudson, S., & Meng, F. (2017). The missing link in building customer brand identification: The role of brand attractiveness. Tourism Management, 59, 640-651.
- So, K. K. F., King, C., Sparks, B., & Wang, Y. (2013). The influence of customer brand identification on hotel brand evaluation and loyalty development. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 34, 31-41.
- So, K. K. F., Wei, W., & Martin, D. (2021). Understanding customer engagement and social media activities in tourism: A latent profile analysis and cross-validation. Journal of Business Research, forthcoming.
- Stokburger-Sauer, N., Ratneshwar, S., & Sen, S. (2012). Drivers of consumer brand identification. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 29(4), 406-418.
- Su, L., Swanson, S. R., Chinchanachokchai, S., Hsu, M. K., & Chen, X. (2016). Reputation and intentions: The role of satisfaction, identification, and commitment. Journal of Business Research, 69(9), 3261-3269.
- Tajfel, H., & Turner, J. C. (1979). An integrative theory of intergroup conflict. In W. G. Austin & S. Worchel (Eds.), The Social Psychology of Intergroup Relations (pp. 33-47). Monterey, CA: Brooks-Cole.
- Tuskej, U., Golob, U., & Podnar, K. (2013). The role of consumerbrand identification in building brand relationships. Journal of Business Research, 66, 53-59.
- Tuškej, U., & Podnar, K. (2018). Consumers’ identification with corporate brands: Brand prestige, anthropomorphism and engagement in social media. Journal of Product & Brand Management, forthcoming.
- Usakli, A., & Baloglu, S. (2011). Brand personality of tourist destinations: An application of self-congruity theory. Tourism Management, 32(1), 114-127.
- Van Doorn, J., Lemon, K. N., Mittal, V., Nass, S., Pick, D., Pirner, P., & Verhoef, P. C. (2010). Customer engagement behavior: Theoretical foundations and research directions. Journal of Service Research, 13(3), 253-266.
- Vargo, S. L., & Lusch, R. (2017). S-D logic 2025. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 34(1), 46-67.
- Vivek, S. D., Beatty, S. E., Dalela, V., & Morgan, R. M. (2014). A generalized multidimensional scale for measuring customer engagement. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 22(4), 401-420.
- Wu, X., Zhou, H., & Wu, D. (2012). Commitment, satisfaction, and customer loyalty: A theoretical explanation of the ‘satisfaction trap’. The Service Industries Journal, 32(11), 1759-1774.
- Zhang, J., & Bloemer, J. (2011). Impact of value congruence on affective commitment: Examining the moderating effects. Journal of Service Management, 22(2), 160-182.
- Zhao, X., Lynch, J. G., & Chen, Q. (2010). Reconsidering Baron and Kenny: Myths and truths about mediation analysis. Journal of Consumer Research, 37(2), 197-206.
Abstract Views: 222
PDF Views: 0