Open Access Subscription Access
Open Access Subscription Access
Interface between Hospitality-based Customer Brand Engagement, Self-brand Congruence, and Revisit Intention
Customer brand engagement (CBE) has been identified as an important determinant of brand co-creation (BCO) and brand loyalty. However, the cognitive and affective mechanism of CBE has hardly received a full assessment, particularly in the field of hospitality brand context. Thus, using service-dominant logic, this research develops a model that explores the relationships between self-brand congruence, social media involvement (SMI), BCO, CBE, and revisit intention towards hospitality brands during the COVID-19 pandemic. First, results suggest that SMI and self-brand congruence positively impact CBE. Secondly, results revealed that CBE’s significant positive effect on BCO and customer’s revisit intention. Third, findings showed the social media’s and self-brand congruence’s indirect impact on co-creation and revisit intent, as mediated via CBE. The model has been tested by adopting Partial least squares-structural equation modelling, and the empirical results can contribute to the advancement of SMI, CBE, co-creation, and revisit intention in the hospitality context. This study offers key implications for hotel brands to construct tactics in surviving during the pandemic.
Customer Brand Engagement, Social Media Involvement, Self-Brand Congruence, Revisit Intention, Hospitality Brands
- Ahn, J., & Back, K. J. (2019). Antecedents and consequences of customer brand engagement in integrated resorts. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 75, 144-152.
- Bahri-Ammari, N., Rather, R., & Kallal, R. (2021). Brand engagement and identification in virtual brand community: The moderating role of brand community subscription seniority. International Journal of Web Based Communities, Forthcoming.
- Bowden, J. L. H. (2009). The process of customer engagement: A conceptual framework. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 17(1), 63-74.
- Brodie, R. J., Hollebeek, L. D., Jurić, B., & Ilić, A. (2011). Customer engagement: Conceptual domain, fundamental propositions, and implications for research. Journal of Service Research, 14(3), 252-271.
- Chen, S., Han, X., Bilgihan, A., & Okumus, F. (2021). Customer engagement research in hospitality and tourism: A systematic review. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 30(10), 1-34.
- Dube, K., Nhamo, G., & Chikodzi, D. (2021). COVID-19 cripples global restaurant and hospitality industry. Current Issues in Tourism, 24(11), 1487-1490.
- Escalas, J. E., & Bettman, J. R. (2003). You are what they eat: The influence of reference groups on consumers’ connections to brands. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 13(3), 339-348.
- Fornell, C., & Larcker, D. (1981). Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error. Journal of Marketing Research, 18(1), 39-50.
- France, C., Merrilees, B., & Miller, D. (2015). Customer brand co-creation: A conceptual model. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 33(6), 848-864.
- Gohary, A., Pourazizi, L., Madani, F., & Chan, E.-Y. (2018). Examining Iranian tourists’ memorable experiences on destination satisfaction and behavioral intentions. Current Issues in Tourism.
- Grissemann, U., & Stokburger-Sauer, N. (2012). Customer co-creation of travel services: The role of company support and customer satisfaction with the co-creation performance. Tourism Management, 33(6), 1483-1492.
- Gursoy, D., & Chi, C. G. (2020). Effects of COVID-19 pandemic on hospitality industry: Review of the current situations and a research agenda. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 29(5), 527-529.
- Hair, J. F., Hult, G. T. M., Ringle, C., & Sarstedt, M. (2017). A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM). Thousand-Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Hanks, L., Line, N., & Yang, W. (2017). Status seeking and perceived similarity: A consideration of homophily in the social servicescape. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 60, 123-132.
- Harrigan, P., Evers, U., Miles, M., & Daly, T. (2018). Customer engagement with tourism social media brands. Tourism Management, 59, 597-609.
- Hayes, A. F. (2013). Introduction to mediation, moderation, and conditional process analysis. New York: Guilford Publications.
- Henseler, J., Hubona, G., & Ray, P. A. (2016). Using PLS path modeling in new technology research: Updated guidelines. Industrial Management & Data Systems, 116, 2-20.
- Hollebeek, L. D., & Rather, R. A. (2019). Service innovativeness and tourism customer outcomes. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31(11), 4227-4246.
- Hollebeek, L. D., Glynn, M. S., & Brodie, R. J. (2014). Consumer brand engagement in social media: Conceptualization, scale development and validation. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 28(2), 149-165.
- Hollebeek, L. D., Smith, D. L., Kasabov, E., Hammedi, W., Warlow, A., & Clark, M. K. (2020). Customer brand engagement during service lockdown. Journal of Services Marketing. Forthcoming.
- Hollebeek, L. D., Srivastava, R. K., & Chen, T. (2019). SD logic-informed customer engagement: Integrative framework, revised fundamental propositions, and application to CRM. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 1-25.
- Kumar, V., & Pansari, A. (2016). Competitive advantage through engagement. Journal of Marketing Research, 53, 497-514.
- Kumar, V., Rajan, B., Gupta, S., & Dalla Pozza, I. (2019). Customer engagement in service. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 47(1), 138-160.
- Leckie, C., Dwivedi, A., & Johnson, L. (2021). Examining drivers and outcomes of social media brand engagement. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics. Ahead-of-Print. doi:https//doi.org/10.1108/APJML-07-2020-0488
- Li, M. W., Teng, H. Y., & Chen, C. Y. (2020). Unlocking the customer engagement-brand loyalty relationship in tourism social media: The roles of brand attachment and customer trust. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 44, 184-192.
- Markus, H. (1977). Self-schemata and processing information about the self. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 35(2), 63.
- MSI – Marketing Science Institute. (2020). Research priorities. Cambridge, MA. Retrieved from https://www.msi.org/uploads/articles/MSI_RP18-20.pdf
- Narangajavana, Y., Fiol, L. J. C., Tena, M. Á. M., Artola, R. M. R., & García, J. S. (2017). The influence of social media in creating expectations: An empirical study for a tourist destination. Annals of Tourism Research, 65, 60-70.
- Ntounis, N., Parker, C., Skinner, H., Steadman, C., & Warnaby, G. (2021). Tourism and hospitality industry resilience during the COVID-19 pandemic: Evidence from England. Current Issues in Tourism, 1-14.
- Odoom, R., Boateng, H., & Asante, B. O. (2017). An empirical investigation of perceived relational benefits and brand engagement in restaurant services. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 29(11), 2767-2784.
- Pansari, A., & Kumar, V. (2017). Customer engagement: The construct, antecedents, and consequences. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 45(3), 294-311.
- Parrey, S. H., Hakim, I. A., & Rather, R. A. (2019). Mediating role of government initiatives and media influence between perceived risks and destination image: A study of conflict zone. International Journal of Tourism Cities, 5(1), 90-106.
- Prahalad, C. K., & Ramaswamy, V. (2004). Co-creation experiences: The next practice in value creation. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18(3), 5-14.
- Prebensen, N. K., Vittersø, J., & Dahl, T. I. (2013). Value co-creation significance of tourist resources. Annals of Tourism Research, 42, 240-261.
- Ranjan, K. R., & Read, S. (2016). Value co-creation: Concept and measurement. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 44, 290-315.
- Rasoolimanesh, S. M., Seyfi, S., Rather, R., & Hall, C. M. (2021). Investigating the mediating role of visitor satisfaction in the relationship between memorable tourism experiences and behavioral intentions in heritage. Tourism Review, In press.
- Rather, R. (2017). Investigating the impact of customer brand identification on hospitality brand loyalty: A social identity perspective. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 27(5), 487-513.
- Rather, R. (2018a). Exploring customers’ attitudes towards the hospitality brands in India: A social identity perspective. In The Branding of Tourist Destinations: Theoretical and Empirical Insights (pp. 207-231). United Kingdom: Emerald Publishing.
- Rather, R. (2018b). Consequences of consumer engagement in service marketing: An empirical exploration. Journal of Global Marketing, 32(2), 116-135.
- Rather, R., & Camilleri, M. A. (2018). The effects of service quality and consumer-brand value congruity on hospitality brand loyalty. Anatolia, 30(4), 547-559.
- Rather, R., & Hollebeek, L. (2018). Exploring and validating social identification and social exchange-based drivers of hospitality customer loyalty. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 31(3), 1432-1451.
- Rather, R., & Sharma, J. (2016). The role of customer engagement in ensuring sustainable development in hospitality sector. International Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Systems, 9(2), 62-81.
- Rather, R., & Shakir, P. H. (2018). Customer engagement in increasing affective commitment within hospitality sector. Journal of Hospitality Application and Research, 13(1), 72-91.
- Rather, R., & Sharma, J. (2017). Customer engagement for evaluating customer relationships in hotel industry. European Journal of Tourism, Hospitality and Recreation, 8(1), 1-13.
- Rather, R., & Sharma, J. (2019). Dimensionality and consequences of customer engagement: A social exchange perspective. Vision, 23(3), 255-266.
- Rather, R., Tehseen, S., & Parrey, S. H. (2018). Promoting customer brand engagement and brand loyalty through customer brand identification and value congruity. Spanish Journal of Marketing, 22(3), 319-337.
- Raza, A., Rather, R., Iqbal, M., & Bhutta, U. (2020). An assessment of corporate social responsibility on customer company identification and loyalty in banking industry: A PLS-SEM analysis. Management Research Review, Forthcoming.
- Richins, M. L., Bloch, P. H., & McQuarrie, E. F. (1992). How enduring and situational involvement combine to create involvement responses. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 1(2), 143-153.
- Schmitt, B. (2012). The consumer psychology of brands. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 22(1), 7-17.
- Shawky, S., Kubacki, K., Dietrich, T., & Weaven, S. (2019). Using social media to create engagement: A social marketing review. Journal of Social Marketing, 9(2), 204-224.
- Sheth, J. N. (2011). Impact of emerging markets on marketing: Rethinking existing perspectives and practices. Journal of Marketing, 75(4), 166-182.
- Sirgy, M. J. (1986). Self-congruity: Toward a theory of personality and cybernetics. Praeger Publishers/Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Sirgy, M. J., Grewal, D., Mangleburg, T. F., Park, J. O., Chon, K. S., Claiborne, C. B.,...Berkman, H. (1997). Assessing the predictive validity of two methods of measuring self-image congruence. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 25(3), 229-241.
- So, K. K. F., King, C., & Sparks, B. (2014). Customer engagement with tourism brands: Scale development and validation. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research, 38(3), 304-329.
- So, K. K. F., Wei, W., & Martin, D. (2021). Understanding customer engagement and social media activities in tourism: A latent profile analysis and cross-validation. Journal of Business Research, Online First.
- Sprott, D., Czellar, S., & Spangenberg, E. (2009). The importance of a general measure of brand engagement on market behavior: Development and validation of a scale. Journal of Marketing Research, 46(1), 92-104.
- Sugathan, P., & Ranjan, K. R. (2019). Co-creating the tourism experience. Journal of Business Research, 100, 207-217.
- UNWTO. (2021). Global economy could lose over $4 trillion due to COVID-19 impact on tourism. Retrieved June 30, 2021, from https://www.unwto.org/news/global-economy-could-lose-over-4-trillion-due-to-covid-19-impact-on-tourism
- Vargo, S. L., & Lusch, R. F. (2016). Service-dominant logic 2025. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 34(1), 46-67.
- Vivek, S. D., Beatty, S. E., & Morgan, R. M. (2012). Customer engagement: Exploring customer relationships beyond purchase. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice, 20(2), 122-146.
- Yen, C. H., Teng, H. Y., & Tzeng, J. C. (2020). Innovativeness and customer value co-creation behaviors: Mediating role of customer engagement. International Journal of Hospitality Management, 88, 102514.
- Yoo, B., & Donthu, N. (2001). Developing and validating a multidimensional consumer-based brand equity scale. Journal of Business Research, 52(1), 1-14.
- Zaichkowsky, J. L. (1985). Measuring the involvement construct. Journal of Consumer Research, 12(3), 341-352.
Abstract Views: 23
PDF Views: 0